Construct Onto an Existing Dwelling
To Construct an Addition Onto an Existing DwellingIf the addition will not contain a bedroom:
- If there is not a Certified Soil Test and/or Sanitary Permit on file in this office, an onsite inspection may be required to locate the existing private sewage system
- If a Certified Soil test
and/or Sanitary Permit is on file in this office, a copy of the
Certified Soil Test and Sanitary Permit must be attached to the
Application for Land Use Permit. The following information is important
if this office has to locate an existing Certified Soil Test and/or
- Soil test and/or system installation date - at a minimum the year of the test or installation
- The soil tester's and/or installing plumber's name
- The name of the property owner at the time the system was installed.If the dwelling, after the construction of an addition, will contain an additional bedroom and:
- There is a Certified Soil Test and/or Sanitary Permit on file - an affidavit for the existing system must be provided by a Master Plumber or Master Plumber Restricted Service, a Certified Soil Tester, a Privately Owned Water Treatment System Inspector, or a septic pumper.
- There is not a Certified Soil Test or Sanitary Permit on file or there are suspect soils and/or a suspect Certified Soil Test, the existing system must be inspected for size and condition by a Master Plumber or Master Plumber Restricted Service, a Certified Soil Tester, or a Privately Owned Water Treatment System Inspector and a system layout diagram must be provided to this office. In addition, a Certified Soil Test must be filed with this office based on a minimum of one boring adjacent to the existing soil absorption area.
- If the dwelling, after the construction of an addition, will contain more than one additional bedroom
- The capacity of the existing system must be increased
- A new system must be installed
- A variance for the existing system must be obtained from the Department of Safety and Professionals.
Note: Refer to Sanitation Office Requirements for the Issue of Land Use Permits for additional information.