Breastfeeding Promotion & Support in WIC
Research has shown that there is no better food than breast milk for a baby's first year of life. Breastfeeding provides many healthy, nutritional, economical, and emotional benefits to mother and baby. Since a major goal of the WIC Program is to improve the nutritional status of infants, WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants. WIC has historically promoted breastfeeding to all pregnant women as the optimal infant feeding choice, unless medically contraindicated.
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding mothers.
- Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps, breast shells, or nursing supplementers to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding mothers receive follow-up support through peer counselors.
- Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an enhanced food package.
- WIC mothers choosing to breastfeed are provided information through counseling and breastfeeding educational materials.