Zoning & Conservation
The office is responsible for issuing various types of permits and scheduling public hearings for the Zoning Committee and the Board of Appeals. Office personnel also assist and advise property owners and prospective owners by:
- Performing onsite property inspections for the purpose of constructing new dwellings, accessory buildings and additions to existing structures
- Establishing/identifying required setbacks (i.e., lot lines, roadways, wetlands, lakes, rivers and streams, septic systems etc.)
- Identifying building sites
- Identifying suitable septic system sites
- Locating previously issued permits
- Advising on parcel subdivisions
- Identifying zone districts
- Advising on the appropriate zone district for land uses
- Promoting, protecting and enhancing the land and waters of Sawyer County
In conjunction with federal, state and county agencies and programs; the department has initiated a tree planting program, a lakes information database, designed and implemented erosion control practices, and administers the Wildlife Damage and Farmland Preservation Programs. The Department provides educational information to lake associations, schools and other interested organizations as requested. The Department also maintains County owned dams and all County parks.
Attention Town of Spider Lake Property Owners
Owners of property in the Town of Spider Lake obtain Sanitary Permits and Emergency 911 number applications from the Sawyer County Zoning administration. However, to obtain Land Use Permits or any other zoning information, property owners should contact the Spider Lake Zoning Administrator, Steve Boss, at 715-634-0432.